Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Don't Bother

So if you are anything like me you've popped into the Icing a few times, drawn by the inexorable pull of cheap sparkly crap. I've bought polish from there before- wear is meh, but not awful for the price you get it at.
The pink one makes me feel like a human cupcake.
If you've been in there recently, you've probably seen this stuff:
 It boasts a "Gel-like finish in under 10 mintues." It never clarifies what is 'gel-like' about it- I have never had a gel manicure but I assumed it would be more resistant to chips and scratching. It was listed at $7.50 each, but 4.25 given the buy one get one offer.

AVOID. It brushed on gloppy and got chunky at the edges of the nail. I used two coats on account of how thick it applied. It DID NOT dry in ten minutes. After a half an hour I could still lightly press a fingerprint in the surface. You can see in these horrible close ups how the second layer rubbed away to show the bubbles it had previously covered up. Chips happened and it looked messy and pretty terrible. Bluh.
The pink stripe is OPI Liquid Sand in Pussy Galore
This is actually the second time I tried this stuff, hoping I did it wrong the first time. The first time it actually peeled off in sheets the size of my nail, taking some of the surface of my nail with it.

I don't know if there IS a cheap alternative to a gel manicure (I was hoping to avoid the uv lights and million extra set-up doodads), but this sure isn't it.

For the three people who read this blog, anything you'd like me to test? 

No comments:

Post a Comment